Thursday, July 24, 2014

Let's talk books

So, instead of doing what I normally do and wait for something "note-worthy" to happen or pop into my brain before I write an entry, I'm going to do the opposite and just write whatever trivial thing flies out of my fingertips and hopefully something good will come of it.

I've come into possession of several books recently, which I'm happy about. I like reading. Or at least, I used to like reading. I still like the idea of reading. But for whatever reason I've been seduced by the mind-numbing electronic entertainments of the modern day and my dumb, path-of-least-resistance brain just gravitates towards those most of the time. But with all these new books, I'm going to try a revival of my old bookworm days. And I'm trying to do this thing where I'm reading two at once, one fiction, one non-fiction. Just to keep things interesting. And maybe so I don't get burned out on one book, I can kind of flit back and forth. Who knows. But I used to feel smarter when I read more, so hopefully that will kick in again.

Here's the list of books I've either bought, been lent or been given:

The Enemy, a Jack Reacher novel - given to me by my sister-in-law Brittany
The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer - purchased by myself
The Foundation Trilogy, by Isaac Asimov - lent to me by my buddy David
The Culture of Disbelief - also lent to me by David

So I have quite a broad variety of topics in front of me, and I'm reading the first two on the list currently, mostly because this list is also in order of receipt, so kind of a first in, first out situation.

Also, I'm probably not going to title my posts until they're finished. So that's how that happened.

How about you? What are you reading? Do you, too, struggle with putting down the controller and picking up the paperback?

No comments: