Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Haves and Wants

Have
So my girlfriend Ashley bought me this knife, the Kershaw Scallion 1620ST. It's awesome. It is sharp (I know this because the first thing I cut with this knife was myself, accidentally), it is lightweight, the SpeedSafe feature is awesome and I highly recommend this knife. SpeedSafe is basically an assisted opening feature that does not fall under "switchblade" definitions, so you can open your knife quickly, with one hand, and legally (barring certain state or local laws, of course) and it both looks cool and is useful when you are holding the thing you want to cut in one hand and don't want to fumble to get your knife open. For more information, go to: Kershaw

I found a video review of the Scallion 1620ST on YouTube. I was going to do such a video myself, but this one is more than adequate. The only difference between this guy's knife and mine is the serration you see in the photo above. Kind of funny, he mentioned wishing he had gotten the serrated version. I'm glad mine is.



Want

So I'm looking to purchase a handgun at some point in the near future for purposes of carrying on my person after I get my Concealed Carry License. I have been researching various makes and models, sizes and calibers and have decided that my ideal handgun is the one in the picture above: Kimber's Pro Crimson Carry II™ .45 ACP.

It's a 1911, and while some might say the 1911 pistol is too heavy or big to carry, and while most 1911s are, the aluminum frame and slightly abbreviated (4 inch) barrel reduces this model's weight to 28 ounces, which isn't much more than other smaller pistols. In my mind, while I only have seven or eight rounds in the single stack 1911 than in the ~15 round capacity 9mm pistol, I'd rather have fewer high caliber rounds punching through an attacker or burglar rather than keep plugging away with my 9mm, trying to get him to go down. Quality over quantity, in my mind.

However, since Kimber makes very high quality, highly customized firearms, they are also very expensive. I'm going to have to save up some cash in order to get the one that I want. Sure, I can go with a cheaper gun made by some other manufacturer, but when safety is the concern, I believe you get what you pay for and I'd rather pay a little more to get a high quality gun. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule and I'm sure that there are Kimber customers out there who are dissatisfied with their purchase, but most things I've seen and read say that Kimber is good, so hopefully I'll be reviewing a Kimber pistol on here soon.

No comments: